Klehm Bros. General Store

Klehm Brothers Building Storefront Photograph, 1906

Klehm Brothers Building Storefront, 1906

George C. Klehm came to Niles Center in 1864, married Henry Harms’ sister, Louise, and bought Harms’ store at the southwest corner of Lincoln and Oakton.

The store served as a tavern, post office, drug store with medicinal aids for man or beast, grocery, dry goods and feed store--with a dance hall upstairs.

In 1881 the store was sold to Samuel Meyer and John W. Brown, who in later years sold it back to Klehm’s sons, George and Edwin.

 


More From the Archives